My three '79 Mustangs - from France

Diverse projecten van leden.

Moderator: Shelby GT-H

Plaats reactie
SuperDuty455

My three '79 Mustangs - from France

Bericht door SuperDuty455 »

Hello,

So here are my cars. I was looking for a cheap and easy project last June. At first I wanted a Fiero but these aren't very reliable. Then I looked at random american cars around here and found this ad for three early Fox Mustangs. I've always loved them, not the prettiest but I love their sharp lines. So I immediatly went to look at them and was very pleased. They had been stored indoors since the early 90's, so some work was needed but it was a gamble I was ready to take. And I'm glad I did ! I took delivery two weeks after finalizing the payment. :

Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

The white Ghia hatchback is the best of the bunch, it's has a 2.8L V6 and an auto transmission, and besides some body damage, is very very nice and the interior is pretty much mint :
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

The copper notchback has a 2.3L L4 with a four speed, it features the original sunroof but it does have quite a bit of rust :
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

The red notchback had a very nice red interior, but has an aftermarket sunroof. It's also equipped with the base 2.3L L4 and the four speed manual :
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

The plan is to get them all back on the road, and good looking again. Interiors will be stripped and cleaned, I will paint them and make sure everything works.
Mack
Super User

Re: My three '79 Mustangs - from France

Bericht door Mack »

What's the white car behind the Mustang in the last picture?
Mack
1998 Ford Mustang GT
Because BLUE
SuperDuty455

It's a Matra Murena, there were a couple. One as completely trashed and half burnt, the other one was fine.

So I'll start with the red notch, which is the one that had the most work done to it so far. A few days after getting the cars home, I tried all the engines. The white started right off, the red required a little more effort but it ran after all. The Vaquero wouldn't start, we'll find out later why.

Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

No it is not a Ghia :
Afbeelding

First thing, I stripped the interior to clean the filthy seats and carpet and check for rust. And I found some :
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Cutting the rot :
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Welded the cracks and repair panels :
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

With seam sealer and covered in Brantho Korrux (excellent product) :
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Seats and carpet were pressure washed :
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

I added some sound deadening material :
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Carpet went back in :
Afbeelding

I then rebuilt the front brakes and replaced the sway bar links (ignore the paint on the surface of the disc, it was removed afterwards) :
Afbeelding

Early '79 models issue revealed after a few months outside...
Afbeelding

Then I proceeded into dying the pinkish interior with the proper color. I used an excellent product called Vinylkote by Plastikolor :
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

And painted the ABS parts with a normal paint :
Afbeelding

The end result :
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Here she is, lately :
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

I also freshened up the engine bay by rebuilding the alternator and power steering pump, and painting the engine bay (I still need to do the firewall) :
Afbeelding

The carburetor before rebuild :
Afbeelding

Yes, these are factory headers ! If someone has a good explanation for these...I have looked at a few belgian 2.3L '79 Mustangs and all had the iron exhaust manifold.
Afbeelding
SuperDuty455

Next is the white htachback, my favourite of the bunch. I wish it had a manual transmission, but at least the C4 works perfectly. I haven't done much to it so far, mostly because it doesn't need much more than good straight doors and a fresh coat of paint. :
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

I even found an intact build sheet under the carpet :
Afbeelding

I replaced the driver side tail light housing to get rid of the ugly fog light. I also painted the interior with chrome paint, hence why it looks brighter than the other side :
Afbeelding
SuperDuty455

Last is the Vaquero glow, by far the worst of the lot. She has some rust issues, but nothing that woul lead her straight to the crusher in my opinion since it's mostly cosmetic.
I tried starting it but couldn't get more than a few pops here and there. I replaced the ignition with no improvement. I moved the distributor, no change.
So I took a look at the timing belt...and well in time it wasn't ! The belt didn't look too good either. So I put it back in the right order, gave a try and the timing belt broke...so I haven't tried again since then but I have a new timing kit ready to install.

Lately, in a sorry state :
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

The quarter panl had been partially replaced in the past, it was probably badly prepped and rust found its way :
Afbeelding

Cracks on the floor as well :
Afbeelding

Rust and pitting on the roof edge :
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Engine :
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Oh look, headers again !
Afbeelding
1967coupe
Adverteerder
Contacteer:

Bericht door 1967coupe »

Not my favorite model but respect for the work being done.

Good luck with the rest

Rene
Europees importeur van de snake-eyes http://www.snake-eyeshop.eu
US Car Gifts nu ook op facebook, https://www.facebook.com/pages/US-Car-G ... 5142961549
http://www.uscargifts.nl
Neko-
Donateur 2014

Bericht door Neko- »

Lots of work, but you're definitly being thorough with it. Keep it up!
Current ride: 2019 EB 2.3 - Zwart - 2023-?
Gone, but not forgotten: 2002 GT 4.6 V8 - Silver (SMR #0009) - 2006-2023
Plaats reactie

Terug naar “Project”