Import Questions for 2018 Mustang GT Convertible?

Voor alle vragen betreffende de nieuwe Ford/Mustangs vanaf 2015

Moderator: Shelby GT-H

Plaats reactie
kstokell

Import Questions for 2018 Mustang GT Convertible?

Bericht door kstokell »

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping there is someone who can help me with some questions I have regarding importing a nearly new (2018 MY) Mustang GT convertible into the Netherlands. I am currently living in Curacao but will be returning to the Netherlands in July 2019, and I'm thinking of bringing a nearly new Mustang back with me when I return. I will of course make sure I have owned the car for at least six months before I return to avoid paying the BPM but I still have the following questions:

- will Ford NL honour the warranty on the car once it is in the Netherlands?
- does anyone know what changes might be required to get the new "2018 MY" car through the import checks at the RDW?

Anything else that I need to know?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin Stokell
Eric
Contacteer:

Re: Import Questions for 2018 Mustang GT Convertible?

Bericht door Eric »

Hi Kevin,

First all congrats on bringing a great car. It's going to be even rarer here than pre-facelift Mustang GTs.
kstokell schreef: vr 09 feb, 2018 01:41 - will Ford NL honour the warranty on the car once it is in the Netherlands?
Unfortunately not. They only honour warranties on EU spec cars that were sold within Europe.
kstokell schreef: vr 09 feb, 2018 01:41 - does anyone know what changes might be required to get the new "2018 MY" car through the import checks at the RDW?
Very few. Most important is installation of a rear fog light with a switch that has a led that indicates if it's operational and is visible from the drivers position. Furthermore you need to have blinkers that are visible from the side. If your car has built in blinker repeaters in the mirrors that already qualifies.

You could consider using the service of a local company here to handle the entire proces for you. Hennie Lek of Lek Import Cars is a favorite here on the forum, he handles similar imports on a regular basis for Dutch military personel who return from the US.
kstokell

Bericht door kstokell »

Thanks Eric for the useful feedback.

Such a pity about the warranty issue which might prove a deal breaker for me. I'm not sure I am willing to take the risk of loosing the manufacturers warranty on the car when it is only six months old. Do you know if there are any companies in the Netherlands that would offer an extended guarantee on the car to replace the original ford guarantee?

Thanks also for the tip about Hennie Lek, I will contact him to find out more details about what needs to be done and if he can arrange it for me.

Sadly unless I can get the warranty issue sorted I think I'm going to have to skip the idea and think of something else! It's a pity as I would really love to be driving such an unusual car in the Netherlands :-)!
Eric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Eric »

kstokell schreef: za 10 feb, 2018 15:20 Sadly unless I can get the warranty issue sorted I think I'm going to have to skip the idea and think of something else! It's a pity as I would really love to be driving such an unusual car in the Netherlands :-)!
I wouldn't worry about the warranty at all. If a new car breaks it usually does so in the first few months of ownership.

There are business insurance companies over here that offer commercial used car warranties, but that's probably not going to be cheap since it's a relatively unknown model. You can ask Hennie about this too, I think he has dealt with one of them for his clients in the past.
kstokell

Bericht door kstokell »

Thanks Eric, I've written to "Lek Import Cars" regarding both the warranty issue and what needs to be done to make the "MY2018 Mustang GT" suitable for use in the Netherlands. I'll wait to get some feedback from them and then base my decision on what I'm going to do on that.

For your info the car I will order is configured as follows, if you or anyone else has any advice on anything I need to add or perhaps delete please let me know?

Thanks Kevin

- Mustang GT Premium Convertible, manual 6 speed gearbox (MY2018)
- Color Magnetic, Black roof
- Premium Plus Package
- GT Performance Package
- MagneRide™ Damping System
- Active Valve Performance Exhaust
- Safe & Smart Package
- Premium AM/FM Stereo with Single CD and HD Radio™
saf1908

Bericht door saf1908 »

You don't really need a convertible in The Netherlands, but I will leave that up to you. ;-)
1966 Mustang Fastback
Mack
Super User

Bericht door Mack »

Can't believe nobody has asked for photos yet :roll:
Mack
1998 Ford Mustang GT
Because BLUE
saf1908

Bericht door saf1908 »

Mack schreef: za 10 feb, 2018 22:08 Can't believe nobody has asked for photos yet :roll:
From what he writes, I think this car is not in his possession yet and still needs to be ordered.

Difficult to post pics in that case. :wink:
1966 Mustang Fastback
Eric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Eric »

kstokell schreef: za 10 feb, 2018 20:23 if you or anyone else has any advice on anything I need to add or perhaps delete please let me know?
Definately get the new 10-speed automatic.

With Magnetic my advice would be to get Tan leather instead of the standard Ebony. That makes a very nice contrast, especially on a convertible.

Another classy combo I think is Royal Crimson with Ceramic leather. Royal Crimson is also a new for 2018 color, which would make you car more unique than the countless Magnetic 2015 convertibles that are around in Europe already.
kstokell

Bericht door kstokell »

I thought about the ten speed automatic, but in the end decided on the manual as I really like shifting gears when driving, I just think it is much more engaging. I rented an automatic in the US and it was nice but after a while it felt a little too relaxed and I didn't feel as connected to the car when compared to the manual.

With regard to the colours again it was a tough decision, but after visiting the big Ford dealer in Florida and seeing most of the colours in real life, I (and my wife) decided that we liked the Magnetic best, especially when combined with the 19 inch black wheels from the sports pack. It looks very stealthy and just a little sinister :twisted:

To brighten up the interior I've decided on the red leather seats which I think go really well with the Magnetic exterior.

Here are a couple of pictures taken from the Ford US website of the final configuration I want to order, that's assuming I can get the warranty and import issues sorted out :D

Afbeelding
Vincent

Bericht door Vincent »

Here are the pictures
The ones in your post arent visible :-)
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
1968 Fastback 390 in restauratie...bijna klaar...
kstokell

Bericht door kstokell »

Thanks Vincent, not sure why they did not show up :-)!
Plaats reactie

Terug naar “2015 - Current”